Wednesday, April 9, 2008

CANDY

"...when you feel embarrassed about something that you shouldn't feel embarrassed about, you end up in a vicious circle of being embarrassed by your embarrassment....and that's really embarrassing."



In the novel Candy the main character, Joe, meets a girl from en entirely different walk of life. He ends up having strong feelings about her. Joe is an overly insecure kid and he over analyses most situations turning them into awkward moments. I, like Joe, am fairly insecure. I tend to over think situations and can easily make situations awkward. Similar to Joe, if I am in an unfamiliar environment I become even more nervous and become embarassed more easily. I think Joe has a strange personality in that he is very self concious, but is not afriad to do new things.

2 comments:

basketballrocks said...

I agree with you that Joe is insecure with himself. When he first meets Candy at the McDonalds he embarasses himself, by dropping the coins all over the floor and Candy retreaving them for him. Secondly, when Joe and Candy were at the zoo, his insecurities were shown once again. When they were sitting and getting something to eat, Candy can't stop talking. Joe says something stupid and further embarasses himself not knowing what to say. I am sorta like Joe as well, I don't like doing new things that I have never done before. If I wanted to do something new, I would be very afraid of embarassing myself. I hope it won't hold me back from trying new things.

Ruby R said...

I think that a lot of people are insecure at one point in their lives. It's just the way life works. Everyone tends to get embarrassed. The situation with Joe is that he doesn't know what people might think of him. Like in the begining of the book when he was on the train he wasn't sure what the girls might say about his hat. It just shows that he wants to fit in with everyone else and not be made fun of or be talked about. Joe thinks about things more in his head instead of letting it all out and embarrassing himself.